A RESNET EnergySmart Contractor is credentialed to work in concert with certified auditors to complete home performance improvement work in compliance with RESNET’s work scope standards of practice.
EnergySmart Contractors are also qualified to participate on a Home Performance Team consisting of independent contracting companies of various trades and a RESNET certified Rater or Auditor who can collectively prescribe and complete a home performance retrofit project. You can receive referrals from auditors and other team members and together, provide comprehensive energy-saving retrofit solutions to your clients.
Once qualified, the contractor is eligible for a promotional listing on the RESNET Registry of EnergySmart Contractors. The company can proudly display the RESNET EnergySmart logo in their marketing materials and link their website to the RESNET EnergySmart promo-video that explains to consumers the value of choosing an EnergySmart Contractor.
Begin the online course immediately and take up to 30 days to complete. When finished, Home Energy Team Institute will help you find an approved proctor in your area to administer the RESNET EnergySmartContractors Exam and provide your certification.
Topics covered include:
- Basics of heat transfer concepts and air distribution leakage
- The energy consequences of common construction practices
- Basic Combustion Appliance concerns
- Basics of envelope and duct leakage, air sealing and insulation
- Understanding of thermal boundaries
- The House as a System - Basics of measure interaction, expected life and bundling for optimal performance
- RESNET retrofit work scope requirements and recommendations
Benefits of the course:
- At the end of the course, students will be ready for the RESNET Qualified Contractors Exam and be qualified to include optimal home performance measures in their existing contracting business.
- The course is all online and includes a study guide and practice exam questions. For added enrichment, purchase a copy of the textbook, Residential Energy by Krigger and Dorsi in our Books section in the Micro Store.
Who should take this course?
- Contractors who perform services related to any of the following: HVAC, insulation, air sealing, remodeling, windows and doors, siding, plumbing, handyman, solar, IAQ, roofing, home automation
- Homebuilders who want to work with Raters to build EnergyStar Homes
None; some knowledge of residential construction practices is beneficial
- Our introductory EnergySmart Contractor package is only $349 and includes:
- The complete 8-hour e-Learning module
- The RESNET EnergySmart Contractor Exam fee
- The annual CEQ* Provider Certification fee for the first year
*RESNET Accredited Contractor Education & Quality Provider
The RESNET Qualified EnergySmart Contractor designation is a company credential. We highly recommend that contractors also have at least one individual become certified as a RESNET Home Energy Survey Professional (HESP) who can perform walk-through assessments of general energy performance problems and make basic recommendations for home improvements or further analysis. Our 16-hour HESP e-Learning module including the RESNET HESP Exam and the annual Provider Certification Fee is normally $599. If you purchase two courses, exams and certifications together, you’ll get a discounted price of $799. That’s a $149 off the regular price!
RESNET Membership and Promotional Directory Listing
Becoming a RESNET Member and listing your company on the RESNET Directory of Qualified EnergySmart Contractors begins at $400/year. Go to https://resnet.us/join for more information